Spearheaded by the Kingdoms of the honorable Pendrakken, the serene Ixians and the cunning Travaki, a Treaty was forged in order to keep the peace among all the Great Kingdoms and prevent total war from erupting. Although the Treaty of Freehold has brought some peace to the entire world, it has also changed the face of the battlefield. Open war between Kingdoms is now a thing of the past. The sharpest blades of this new battleground are trade, subterfuge and information.
King Arcturus Pendrakken, King Malleus of Ixia and King Avarak II of the Iron Kingdom forged the Treaty of Freehold in the year 2000 of the Wyrdic Calendar.
In a massive conference at Annie’s Inn, these Kings met with those Kingdoms that desired to be a part of this Treaty. Arcturus galvanized these rulers and envoys into coming, putting parlay and pressure into great use. Some Kingdoms required the calling of old debts, such as the debt of King Baelor and King Avarak II to King Arcturus. Others had been coerced through challenge and conference, such as the Jotunbrud and the Kenrei.
– Her Radiance, the Queen of Callas Selvarion
– Siegfried Gotthammer, the King-Priest of Gotterdammerung
– King Terasu Shiro, the Philosopher King of Kenrei
– King Baelor Witch-Eye of the Fir’bolg
– the Five Mantled Kings of the Riverfolk
– Sigwyn Wintersdotter, High Priestess of Lucca and Emissary of the Jotunbrud
Arriving without invitation was:
– the Prophet-Matriarch of Kali-Ishtar
– Kristoff, the King Slayer of the Labyrinthium
But no other Kingdom beyond these 11 was willing or able to participate in the Treaty of Freehold, owing to their own disorganization or their lack of funds. Rumor has it that mere participation within the Treaty required a sum of over 100,000 Gold Coins and continued tribute toward the Treaty.
The Treaty was forged for 3 purposes:
– global conversation without war, perhaps leading to a united front
– the division of the precious mines around Freehold and their rare ore
– to a lesser extent, the examination of the ancient prophecy
- Annabelindas Waterbringer, the proprietress of Annie’s Inn
- Jade Glimmerglint, Inn Manager
- Indee Malvolden, Head Chef
- John Miller Jr., spokesman for the Future Farmers of Freehold
- Kyle Rumblend, the current caretaker of the Freehold Library and a searcher of secret lores
- “Boom Boom”, a “reformed” elementalist and “adventurer”
To enforce peace within the territories of Freehold, the Kingdoms of Midworld devoted extensive resources in hiring a neutral party. They chose the Brotherhood of the Sword and Cross, a large mercenary company, for this task, which lies as much in arbitration and protection as much as it does non-interference.
Because of the people of Freehold tend to be isolationist, the Brotherhood is instructed to interfere with their affairs only when necessary or when the interests of the Kingdoms are threatened, such as when merchants become discouraged in bringing economy to the town or when a Kingdom’s Envoy is hurt or slain.
Of course, those Envoys that persist in being combatants waive most protections. The Brotherhood cannot long protect those who seek the forefront of battle.
– to assist and serve the members of their Kingdom
– conduct themselves with honor and dignity
– act as their Kingdom’s voice to its people.
– advance and protect their Kingdom’s interests
Naturally, the myriad cultures of each Kingdom will interpret these tenets differently or put greater emphasis in some aspects rather than others. A Labyrinithum Envoy may focus on the advancement of Kingdom interests rather than the welfare of its people. Similarly, an Ixian Envoy may employ the exact opposite in priorities.
Envoys may have one or several Hands to assist them in their task. The work of a Hand can be dangerous and is often thankless; usually, they are given the task of an Envoy but without the protections or the authority of that office. Furthermore, they are answerable to their Envoy and their Kingdom.
The Current Envoys (subject to change; correct as of July 2017)
NOTE: These are public figures, and letters can be sent to npcs or pcs of this rank.
Callas Selvarion – Arunel ni Madriel (AE), a Rook-Knight of Her Radiance
Gotterdammerung – Nayesh, a Cambion Necromancer
Fir’bolg -Devlin Shadowblade Mac Drustan, a Dyed Man
Ixia – Smiling Flowers, a Soldier of King Malleus
Hands: Shining Mirror, Tranquil Breeze
Jotunbrud – Ulrik Grimswolf, Thane of the Sons of Winter
Kali-ishtar – Mother Katya Borisov of Koil Kali
Hands: Ivanna Zorya, Katyusha Agni
Kenrei – Jinru Goemon, a Kensai of the Obsidian Sword (Presumed Deceased; Kenrei has withdrawn from the Treaty of Freehold)
Labyrinthium – Sir William Ninjax of the Kingslayer Crew
Hand: Enzo Velletum, Tibalt and Raziel
Malak Travak – (AE) Penelope Gold-Tongue, a Manager of the Iron Bank
Pendrakken – (AE) Hektor Arius, Warrior-Priest of the Seven United
Hand: Sir Pelavir Vard, Lady Arianna Vard
Riverfolk – Ren Stormwater of the Golden Fleet
Hand: Walker, Antonio Cesaro
*AE — Acting Envoy; a temporary replacement until a proper Envoy is appointed or until their training has been completed.