Overview: Not every faith in Midworld has a Seeker sect among its ranks. But those that do are especially blessed and especially informed. Seekers are the eyes and the ears of a faith. When Avatara seek protection, they turn to the Crusaders. But when they seek information, they turn to the Seekers.
Such is the way of the Seeker than only the highest echelons of their faith truly know who they are.
Everyone else, even other Chosen, is kept in the dark regarding the Seeker’s goals and mission. Sometimes, not even the Seekers themselves know what they are about until the very last step.
And of course, what separates Seekers from common religious spies are their divine abilities. Seekers are blessed with powers that allow them to find secrets with a greater efficiency than the common thug. One only need to add their spell-casting ability to the equation to determine their utility as a whole.
Everyone expects a spy in their midst, but rarely does anyone expect or detect a spy in the name of god.
Role-playing Notes: Choose how you want to be and stick to it. Your path is made especially hard by the secrets you have to keep from your allies. Perhaps the most difficult concept to grasp is the apparent waywardness of your mission’s accomplishment –you are expected to do things counter to your faith’s expectations in order to fulfill your goals.
You may have to slay Chosen to save a greater number of Chosen or to advance the goals of your faith. Yours is not to question – yours is to watch, learn and, when the signal is given, strike without mercy, without compromise and without witnesses.
This is a task not for the glory-hound; others will win accolades and exaltation while you wallow in darkness and obscurity. However, it is your lot among the Chosen to be filthy and blood-stained so that others may stay clean. While your role is under-appreciated, you do not require praise or honor to do what is necessary. You only need to know that your God witnesses your deeds and smiles upon your actions.
SUB-CLASS FEATURES: A first level Seeker automatically receives the following abilities at no cost to build:
– As a Seeker of your god, you are tasked a most difficult path: to go where no other priest might tread and to observe what no other priest may look upon – all for the advancement of your god’s cause. For this purpose, you must be quick and guileful and subtle. You gain either the Camouflage skill or the Suggestion feat.
– If an ability, skill or spell requires you to present or hold up your holy symbol, you may instead present or hold up an open palm. However, you must record all of your findings in a Tome of Truth and Lies – this tome, if nothing else, must hold your holy symbol. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.
– Furthermore, when any attempt uses Gather Information, Sense Deception or a similar effect to directly ask you about your faith, you are not considered to be lying in-game if you deny your faith or if you claim to belong to another.
THE EYE OF GOD
– As a Seeker, you are the eyes and the ears of your faith. You are tasked to watch and to observe all: Chosen, unchosen and heretic; thereafter, you must record and report your findings. You need not wear your symbol out in the open nor must you always declare your god’s name when you cast your spells (say the word “Faith” instead of your deity’s name).
– You may focus your enmity and your wrath upon a single foe that you have deemed a threat to you or your faith. You can observe an enemy for at least 60 seconds, moving no faster than a slow walk and saying “Studying 1, Studying 2…Studying 60. The Eye of God is upon you”. Any damage or Control effect you receive disrupts this process – at the end of this, you gain a +2 bonus to any Divine Damage you inflict upon the target of your Study when you use a Spell or a normal melee attack.
– Furthermore, you may call the holy gaze of your deity upon yourself to hold fast and to paralyze everyone around you. To do this, say “Eye of God! Whirlwind Snare 5” to inflict a 5 second Snare effect that affects all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. If you are wielding a two-handed weapon, you may also use this to determine the reach of “Eye of God”, however, you must keep one hand on the middle of the weapon to shorten its reach. Once this ability is used, you may not use it again until after you have had a short rest.
The following Sub-class features can only be gained when the Character reaches the required level and has learned the required feats, skills and/or spells.
Level 2: Read the Soul
Requires: Aura-Sight skill
Once per period, you may say “Read the Soul” and then ask up to 5 yes/no questions that your target must answer truthfully. Your target is unaware of your inquiry; he only remembers a casual conversation. This effect cannot be resisted, although a Poker Face makes one immune to it. If you use this ability and it is rendered moot by the Poker Face skill, it is not considered spent.
Level 4: Cleanse the Unjust
Requires: the Symbol of Wrath spell and the Weapon of Faith spell or the Weapon of the Chosen spell.
Upon the enemies of your faith, you are a knife in the dark. They fear your spells and your blade, even as they remain ignorant of your true cause.
Against an enemy of your faith, you can increase the bonus to damage to from “Eye of God” to a +5 (instead of a +2) if you spend 1 SP after 60 seconds of study. An “enemy of your faith” is someone who you have witnessed harming a Chosen of your faith within the last Period, someone who has been declared as such by your religion or someone who is himself a Chosen of your faith that you have deemed a traitor.
Furthermore, when you use a Sense Deception effect upon a Chosen of your Faith, you must clarify to them the following: they cannot use the Poker Face skill against you unless they also spend 1 SP.
Level 6: Mask of Faith
Requires: Cleric of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Mask benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
– Mask of Battle: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Battle! 20 AP!” to grant yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you 20 AP. These APs do not stack with any other armor points – these APs are intended to act as instant pseudo-healing. Furthermore, the Chosen around you may perform a special attack within 10 seconds of benefitting from this feature: they may perform a melee attack that inflicts 10 points of divine damage.
– Mask of Chaos: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Chaos” to instantly become invisible for 60 seconds. You may hold your hands and your weapons above your head (signaling that you are out of game) while saying “Invisible 1, Invisible 2, Invisible 3…Invisible 60”. You may move from your position, but only at a slow walk (1 step per two seconds) speed. The Sense Hidden feat or similar ability will reveal your exact position if it is actively used against you.
– Mask of Creation: When you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Mask of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 1 Basic Component of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it requires a different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
– Mask of Fate: Once per period, you may overwhelm your enemies with a wave of divine menace. say “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Fear 30” or “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Weakness 30!”. You affect all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you with either a Fear effect for 30 seconds (they flee from you) or a Weakness effect for 30 seconds (they inflict a maximum of 1 damage). If you are holding a two-handed weapon, you may use it to determine the extent of your reach, but when doing so, keep one hand upon the middle of the weapon.
– Mask of Inquisition: Once per Period, you may use this feature to escape an ambush, to harmlessly spring a trap or to pierce through a target’s deceptions. To do this, say “Mask of Inquisition” to do one of the following:
– All invisible enemies within earshot are revealed to you and your allies. You must loudly clarify this effect to everyone that can be affected.
o Negate the effects of a Trap that just hit you.
o Determine a person within arm’s reach of you is disguised or not. If you are familiar with them in any way, you recognize them to be the persona(s) that you know.
o Defeat one use of the Poker Face skill (or similar skills).
o Defeat Master Camouflage or the Word of Veiling spell during night hours.
– Mask of Knowledge: Once per period, you may gain divine inspiration and holy knowledge to augment your proficiency in the works of magic. To benefit from this, say “Mask of Knowledge” – you have one minute to throw up to 5 spell-packets, each one inflicts 15 points of Divine damage or heals their target for 15 HP; in mid-throw, invoke the amount of damage or the amount of healing. While this feature is active, you must use one hand to raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Knowledge ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
– Mask of Tranquility: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Tranquility” to gain immense restorative power. For the next 60 seconds, your healing spells heal for double the amount. While this ability is active, you must raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Tranquility ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
Level 8: Mind Blank
Requires: Apotheosis (rank 5), Willpower skill and Bravery skill
At this point, your thoughts are masked so well, no one can truly tell where your loyalties lie. You gain the Poker Face skill, which allows you to counter almost all abilities that require you to volunteer information to an inquiring party. Certain powerful spells and individuals can bypass this skill.
If you have the Harbinger of Chaos skill, the benefit of this ability is altered. Instead, whenever you decide to use the Poker Face skill, you may say “Harbinger of Chaos” and then speak falsely.
Level 10: Aspect of Faith
Requires: Harbinger of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
You may use the Eye of God more than once per Short Rest by spending 2 SP before Channeling.
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Aspect benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
– Aspect of Battle: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to whip yourself into a deadly frenzy. After you invoke “Aspect of Battle
!”, you regain up to 10 SP and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you regain 3 SP. The SP you regain cannot exceed your maximum.
– Aspect of Chaos: Once per moon, you may call forth a burst of chaotic energy in the surrounding vicinity; it inflicts a Confuse effect for 30 seconds upon all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. To use this feature, say “Aspect of Chaos! Whirlwind Confuse 30!” This gives you the chance to escape or to turn the tide in your favor.
– Aspect of Creation: Once per moon, when you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Aspect of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 3 Basic Components of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it requires a different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
– Aspect of Fate: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to send forth three bolts of decisive power that could very well end a fight. After invoking “Aspect of Fate”, you have 30 seconds to throw three spell-packets, inflicting 30 points of “Mortal-bane”, “Spirit-bane” or “Death-bane” damage with each hit. Instead of using spell-packets, you may use melee attacks to deliver this damage.
– Aspect of Inquisition: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Inquisition”. You may then ask the target seven questions (these need not be yes or no questions) that he must answer in one sentence and these must be answered truthfully or to the best of his ability. This ability can only be countered by the Poker Face skill or similar abilities such as the Harbinger of Chaos skill. In this case, you gain at the answer to only one question… which must be a yes or no question. In-game, your target is not aware of your inquiry (make sure your target knows this), you are gaining this information through supernatural observation, divine insight and holy inspiration.
– Aspect of Knowledge: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Knowledge”, using divine inspiration and holy knowledge to perform an exploit of utter magical mastery. By invoking this ability, you may accomplish one of the following:
o Perform a 10 minute, 5 minute or 1 minute ritual using 10 seconds of channeling.
o negate a spell that has been cast upon you via melee strike, whirlwind or spell packet; immediately afterwards, you may use a spell-packet or a melee attack to inflict the same effect or damage upon any other creature, including the original source of the spell.
o negate a spell that has been cast upon you and regain 5 SP.
– Aspect of Tranquility: Once per moon, when you use the Acolyte of Tranquility feature to perform a Chant of Tranquility, you need only Channel for 10 seconds and you restore 5 SP and 100 HP to yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. The HP and SP bestowed by this cannot exceed one’s maximum HP and SP pools.