Overview: When evil is abound and the faithful are threatened, it is the task of the Crusader to bring forth the cause of justice upon the wicked and lay low all that would dare assail the Chosen. Indeed, Crusaders are the strong right-arm of their god –granted a mingled potency in the arts divine and martial in order to fulfill his duty.
Crusaders are wrought especially tough when augmented by the power of faith. Furthermore, Crusaders that war against those that their gods have declared anathema are made deadlier by their zeal. Some have called Crusaders akin to Warriors, while others have placed them alongside Adepts. In truth, Crusaders are similar to both yet completely unique in their abilities and perspectives.
Like all other Priests, Crusaders are granted the power of healing. But the strength of the Crusader is not in the curative but in the preventative. Crusaders work best when defending and avenging the Chosen despite their healing prowess. When the dust settles, they can mete out renewal and solace – but while the enemy is abound, the Crusader is the very visage of wrath and death.
Role-playing Notes: Your task is two-fold: upon your shoulders lies the burden of protecting the Chosen of your god and wreaking holy, uncompromising justice upon your god’s enemies.
Such a mission requires unflagging vigilance and unwavering devotion, as well as a solid grasp of martial ability. Crusaders must be learned in the ways of arms and armor, elsewise they become little better than Avatara as deterrents.
Be watchful, be vigilant and never let your guard down – the lives of the Chosen rely upon your skills and your failure could very well mean their demise.
SUB-CLASS FEATURES: A first level Crusader automatically receives the following abilities at no cost to build:
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH
– You gain the Armor Proficiency skill for no build.
– Unlike other Priests, a Crusader can cast spells while wearing metal armor.
– In addition, half the the AP gain from the Armor of Faith spell or the Armor of the Chosen spell stack with the AP that comes from whatever armor you wear.
SCOURGE OF THE UNHOLY
– You gain the spell: Weapon of the Chosen.
– Furthermore, when you have a blessed weapon in your hands, any damaging spell you cast through it inflicts 2 more points of damage than normal.
The following Sub-class features can only be gained when the Character reaches the required level and has learned the required feats, skills and/or spells.
Level 2: Smite the Wicked
Requires: Symbol of Wrath spell
You are more than a protector of your faith, you are an avenger of your god and a bearer of divine wrath. To that end, you may inflict horrendous damage upon those whom you deem as the enemies of your religion.
Once per Period, you may say “Smite the Wicked! Heal 10”, regaining up to 10 HP through holy fury; immediately afterward, you may perform a special attack that inflicts your choice of the following (choose one):
– 30 divine damage
– Fear 30
– Daze 30
Level 4: Rage of the Righteous
Requires: Symbol of Wrath spell and Blessed Bond skill
When you witness a Chosen being brought to 0 HP or receiving a Killing Blow, your next Symbol of Wrath gains a +5 bonus to damage if it targets the infidel that attacked your fellow. You may not benefit from this bonus to damage more than once a minute.
Furthermore, when you are wielding a blessed weapon, you inflict 1 more point of damage than normal with your regular weapon strikes. This augmentation to damage will not stack with any feat, skill or spell.
Level 6: Mask of Faith
Requires: Cleric of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Mask benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
– Mask of Battle: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Battle! 20 AP!” to grant yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you 20 AP. These APs do not stack with any other armor points – these APs are intended to act as instant pseudo-healing. Furthermore, the Chosen around you may perform a special attack within 10 seconds of benefitting from this feature: they may perform a melee attack that inflicts 10 points of divine damage.
– Mask of Chaos: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Chaos” to instantly become invisible for 60 seconds. You may hold your hands and your weapons above your head (signaling that you are out of game) while saying “Invisible 1, Invisible 2, Invisible 3…Invisible 60”. You may move from your position, but only at a slow walk (1 step per two seconds) speed. The Sense Hidden feat or similar ability will reveal your exact position if it is actively used against you.
– Mask of Creation: When you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Mask of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 1 Basic Component of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it requires a
different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
– Mask of Fate: Once per period, you may overwhelm your enemies with a wave of divine menace. say “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Fear 30” or “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Weakness 30!”. You affect all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you with either a Fear effect for 30 seconds (they flee from you) or a Weakness effect for 30 seconds (they inflict a maximum of 1 damage). If you are holding a two-handed weapon, you may use it to determine the extent of your reach, but when doing so, keep one hand upon the middle of the weapon.
– Mask of Inquisition: Once per Period, you may use this feature to escape an ambush, to harmlessly spring a trap or to pierce through a target’s deceptions. To do this, say “Mask of Inquisition” to do one of the following:
o All invisible enemies within earshot are revealed to you and your allies. You must loudly clarify this effect to everyone that can be affected.
o Negate the effects of a Trap that just hit you.
o Determine a person within arm’s reach of you is disguised or not. If you are familiar with them in any way, you recognize them to be the persona(s) that you know.
o Defeat one use of the Poker Face skill (or similar skills).
o Defeat Master Camouflage or the Word of Veiling spell during night hours
– Mask of Knowledge: Once per period, you may gain divine inspiration and holy knowledge to augment your proficiency in the works of magic. To benefit from this, say “Mask of Knowledge” – you have one minute to throw up to 5 spell-packets, each one inflicts 15 points of Divine damage or heals their target for 15 HP; in mid-throw, invoke the amount of damage or the amount of healing. While this feature is active, you must use one hand to raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Knowledge ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
– Mask of Tranquility: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Tranquility” to gain immense restorative power. For the next 60 seconds, your healing spells heal for double the amount. While this ability is active, you must raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Tranquility ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
Level 8: Reward Of the Pious
Requires: Symbol of Healing spell, Symbol of Renewal Spell and Symbol of Wrath spell
As a Crusader, it is your burden to protect and cure the Chosen of your faith. To that end, the powers you serve reward you for your loyal service and your pious actions.
Whenever you use the Symbol of Healing spell or the Symbol of Renewal spell to heal a Chosen, you also regain 5 HP. You do not benefit from this feature if you are healing yourself.
Furthermore, the healing bestowed by “Smite the Wicked” is improved to 30 HP.
Level 10: Aspect of Faith
Requires: Harbinger of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
Furthermore, when you are wielding a blessed weapon, you inflict 2 more points of damage than normal with your regular weapon strikes, instead of 1 more point of damage. This augmentation to damage will not stack with any feat, skill or spell.
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Aspect benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
– Aspect of Battle: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to whip yourself into a deadly frenzy. After you invoke “Aspect of Battle!”, you regain up to 10 SP and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you regain 3 SP. The SP you regain cannot exceed your maximum.
– Aspect of Chaos: Once per moon, you may call forth a burst of chaotic energy in the surrounding vicinity; it inflicts a Confuse effect for 30 seconds upon all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. To use this feature, say “Aspect of Chaos! Whirlwind Confuse 30!” This gives you the chance to escape or to turn the tide in your favor.
– Aspect of Creation: Once per moon, when you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Aspect of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 3 Basic Components of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it requires a different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
– Aspect of Fate: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to send forth three bolts of decisive power that could very well end a fight. After invoking “Aspect of Fate”, you have 30 seconds to throw three spell-packets, inflicting 30 points of “Mortal-bane”, “Spirit-bane” or “D
eath-bane” damage with each hit. Instead of using spell-packets, you may use melee attacks to deliver this damage.
– Aspect of Inquisition: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Inquisition”. You may then ask the target seven questions (these need not be yes or no questions) that he must answer in one sentence and these must be answered truthfully or to the best of his ability. This ability can only be countered by the Poker Face skill or similar abilities such as the Harbinger of Chaos skill. In this case, you gain at the answer to only one question… which must be a yes or no question. In-game, your target is not aware of your inquiry (make sure your target knows this), you are gaining this information through supernatural observation, divine insight and holy inspiration.
– Aspect of Knowledge: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Knowledge”, using divine inspiration and holy knowledge to perform an exploit of utter magical mastery. By invoking this ability, you may accomplish one of the following:
– Perform a 10 minute, 5 minute or 1 minute ritual using 10 seconds of channeling.
– negate a spell that has been cast upon you via melee strike, whirlwind or spell packet; immediately afterwards, you may use a spell-packet or a melee attack to inflict the same effect or damage upon any other creature, including the original source of the spell.
– negate a spell that has been cast upon you and regain 5 SP.
– Aspect of Tranquility: Once per moon, when you use the Acolyte of Tranquility feature to perform a Chant of Tranquility, you need only Channel for 10 seconds and you restore 5 SP and 100 HP to yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. The HP and SP bestowed by this cannot exceed one’s maximum HP and SP pools.