Overview: Avatara are the heralds and the harbingers of their faith, the voice of their gods upon Midworld. As such, their word is law to the Chosen of their god and their warnings always are heeded. It is their right as leaders to guide their folk but also to listen to them and when it is necessary, to protect and to heal their Chosen.
For those tasks, the gods of Avatara grant them access to powerful magics. Of all the Priests, they are the most magic oriented. The abilities of the Avatara focus on spell-casting rather than melee or information gathering. Like all Priests, their abilities are influenced by their Sphere of choice, for good or ill. An Avatara with the Fate Sphere possesses capabilities that an Avatara with the Battle Sphere does not.
The Avatara, being the most vocal of a clergy, are also the easiest targets. Thus do aspiring Avatara have to tread carefully, to their pride’s chagrin. After all, Priests cannot serve their god in Midworld if they die – and the point entire of being an Avatara is to be the harbinger of one’s god.
Role-playing Notes: They call you Herald, Harbinger, Prophet; you are the voice of your god. Do not be unwilling to speak when your counsel is needed and your opinion required.
You are not infallible, however. Beware hubris. Listen and observe everything that happens around you. Take heed of what your Chosen say, for even the most foolish may hold wisdom beneath their tongue – but yours is the final word. You need but speak your command and they shall follow.
SUB-CLASS FEATURES: A first level Avatara automatically receives the following abilities at no cost to build:
VOICE OF THE HEAVENS
– As Avatara, you serve as your god’s voice upon Midworld. Since all mortals, chosen, unchosen or heretic, cannot help but heed the voice of the heavens, so too is your voice a commanding influence. You learn the Suggestion feat, except that your chosen cannot resist this feat if you use it on them.
– You may say “Voice of the Heavens” and then deliver a “Fear 10” effect via Spell-packet or Weapon strike, saying the effect in mid-throw or mid-swing.
– Alternatively, you may say “Voice of the Heavens! Heal 10” to heal yourself or a Chosen within weapon’s reach. Once either function of Voice of the Heavens is used, it may not be used again until after you have taken a Short Rest.
– As a conduit between Mortals and the Divine, the power of the divine is not unnatural to your senses. It flows through you as air in your lungs, as blood in your veins. You gain the Ritual Caster skill.
The following Sub-class features can only be gained when the Character reaches the required level and has learned the required feats, skills and/or spells.
Level 2: Channel the Divine
Requires: Channeling Expertise skill
Once per period, you may place yourself in a state of holy power, connecting your soul with the Overworld. To do this, say “Channel the Divine” and then raise your holy symbol above your head.
You gain your choice of one of the following:
– After saying “Channel the Divine”, you may say “Minimal 1, Minimal 2…Minimal 30”. While doing this you may do nothing else except walk and defend yourself. You may not cast spells. However, while you are counting “Minimal”, you only take 1 damage from any attack except certain Bane attacks (Mortal-bane for all Races, Demon-bane for Nightkin and Spirit-bane for Beastlings). At the end of this count, you may say “Heal 100” to fully heal yourself. While this Feature is in effect, you have to keep your holy symbol raised above your head.
– Alternatively, after saying “Channel the Divine”, you have one minute to cast up to seven Basic-level spells while waiving any Channeling cost that they might have. This may require both hands since you have to raise your holy symbol with one of your hands.
Level 4: Symbol Of Reprisal
Requires: Channeling Mastery skill
Whenever you are struck while Channeling or Casting a spell, you may disrupt your own spell and attack your assailant with a weapon or a spell-packet, saying “Knockback 10” in mid-swing or mid-throw. If you hit, your target must take 10 steps away from you.
Similarly, if you are damaged while Channeling or Casting a basic attack spell such as Symbol of Wrath, your next Symbol of Wrath spell used against your assailant receives a +5 bonus to its damage. Say “Symbol of Reprisal” instead of Symbol of Wrath.
Level 6: Mask of Faith
Requires: Cleric of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Mask benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
– Mask of Battle: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Battle! 20 AP!” to grant yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you 20 AP. These APs do not stack with any other armor points – these APs are intended to act as instant pseudo-healing. Furthermore, the Chosen around you may perform a special attack within 10 seconds of benefitting from this feature: they may perform a melee attack that inflicts 10 points of divine damage.
– Mask of Chaos: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Chaos” to instantly become invisible for 60 seconds. You may hold your hands and your weapons above your head (signaling that you are out of game) while saying “Invisible 1, Invisible 2, Invisible 3…Invisible 60”. You may move from your position, but only at a slow walk (1 step per two seconds) speed. The Sense Hidden feat or similar ability will revea
l your exact position if it is actively used against you.
– Mask of Creation: When you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Mask of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 1 Basic Component of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it requires a different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
– Mask of Fate: Once per period, you may overwhelm your enemies with a wave of divine menace. say “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Fear 30” or “Mask of Fate! Whirlwind Weakness 30!”. You affect all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you with either a Fear effect for 30 seconds (they flee from you) or a Weakness effect for 30 seconds (they inflict a maximum of 1 damage). If you are holding a two-handed weapon, you may use it to determine the extent of your reach, but when doing so, keep one hand upon the middle of the weapon.
– Mask of Inquisition: Once per Period, you may use this feature to escape an ambush, to harmlessly spring a trap or to pierce through a target’s deceptions. To do this, say “Mask of Inquisition” to do one of the following:
o All invisible enemies within earshot are revealed to you and your allies. You must loudly clarify this effect to everyone that can be affected.
o Negate the effects of a Trap that just hit you.
o Determine a person within arm’s reach of you is disguised or not. If you are familiar with them in any way, you recognize them to be the persona(s) that you know.
o Defeat one use of the Poker Face skill (or similar skills).
o Defeat Master Camouflage or the Word of Veiling spell during night hours
– Mask of Knowledge: Once per period, you may gain divine inspiration and holy knowledge to augment your proficiency in the works of magic. To benefit from this, say “Mask of Knowledge” – you have one minute to throw up to 5 spell-packets, each one inflicts 15 points of Divine damage or heals their target for 15 HP; in mid-throw, invoke the amount of damage or the amount of healing. While this feature is active, you must use one hand to raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Knowledge ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
– Mask of Tranquility: Once per period, you may say “Mask of Tranquility” to gain immense restorative power. For the next 60 seconds, your healing spells heal for double the amount. While this ability is active, you must raise your holy symbol above your head – if your hand drops for any reason or if you take any damage, Mask of Tranquility ends prematurely. This means that this feature requires you to use both hands (one hand to be raised and the other to deliver the spell effects).
Level 8: Divine Wind
Requires: Symbol of Wrath spell, Symbol of Fear and Symbol of Binding spell
You are a beacon of your deity’s power, a mirror reflecting the light of Overworld’s divinities. Unlike the other types of Priests, when you are granted holy energy it is multiplied and made brighter by your discipline and your faith. To other Priests, your energy is boundless and your efforts, unceasing.
Whenever you cast Symbol of Wrath, Symbol of Fear or Symbol of Binding, you may channel for 3 additional seconds to turn them into a wave 3 spell instead of a bolt spell.
Also, if you cast any of the spells above as a bolt spell and you miss or your target negates the spell, you regain the SP you expended to cast the spell (if you spent SP).
Level 10: Aspect of Faith
Requires: Harbinger of the Sphere skill (based on the Sphere you chose at character creation)
The Voice of the Heavens feature may now be activated more than once after every Short Rest by spending 1 SP.
As you progress in faithful worship of your god, you gain the Aspect benefit of your chosen Sphere (see below).
· Aspect of Battle: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to whip yourself into a deadly frenzy. After you invoke “Aspect of Battle!”, you regain up to 10 SP and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you regain 3 SP. The SP you regain cannot exceed your maximum.
· Aspect of Chaos: Once per moon, you may call forth a burst of chaotic energy in the surrounding vicinity; it inflicts a Confuse effect for 30 seconds upon all creatures within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. To use this feature, say “Aspect of Chaos! Whirlwind Confuse 30!” This gives you the chance to escape or to turn the tide in your favor.
· Aspect of Creation: Once per moon, when you use your Acolyte of Creation feature to create an item after 10 seconds of Channeling, you may say “Aspect of Creation” instead to reduce the Component cost of your creation by 3 Basic Components of any type. If the recipe or formula in question does not require a Basic Component (it
requires a different level of Component such as Minor, Rare or Pure), this feature does nothing. When you receive the item tag for your creation, inform the Staff member of your use of this Sub-Class Feature and what it does.
· Aspect of Fate: Once per moon, you may invoke this ability to send forth three bolts of decisive power that could very well end a fight. After invoking “Aspect of Fate”, you have 30 seconds to throw three spell-packets, inflicting 30 points of “Mortal-bane”, “Spirit-bane” or “Death-bane” damage with each hit. Instead of using spell-packets, you may use melee attacks to deliver this damage.
· Aspect of Inquisition: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Inquisition”. You may then ask the target seven questions (these need not be yes or no questions) that he must answer in one sentence and these must be answered truthfully or to the best of his ability. This ability can only be countered by the Poker Face skill or similar abilities such as the Harbinger of Chaos skill. In this case, you gain at the answer to only one question… which must be a yes or no question.
In-game, your target is not aware of your inquiry (make sure your target knows this), you are gaining this information through supernatural observation, divine insight and holy inspiration.
· Aspect of Tranquility: Once per moon, when you use the Acolyte of Tranquility feature to perform a Chant of Tranquility, you need only Channel for 10 seconds and you restore 5 SP and 100 HP to yourself and all Chosen within a one-handed weapon’s reach of you. The HP and SP bestowed by this cannot exceed one’s maximum HP and SP pools.
· Aspect of Knowledge: Once per moon, you may invoke “Aspect of Knowledge”, using divine inspiration and holy knowledge to perform an exploit of utter magical mastery. By invoking this ability, you may accomplish one of the following:
– Perform a 10 minute, 5 minute or 1 minute ritual using 10 seconds of channeling.
– negate a spell that has been cast upon you via melee strike, whirlwind or spell packet; immediately afterwards, you may use a spell-packet or a melee attack to inflict the same effect or damage upon any other creature, including the original source of the spell.
– negate a spell that has been cast upon you and regain 5 SP.