Troll Costuming Questions:

Home Forums Rules Troll Costuming Questions:

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rules Director 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

CloudSoul
    Participant

Greetings!
    I was looking into playing a troll and came to the conclusion (though possibly incorrect) that trolls are more or less costumed the same way an orc is in terms of racial aesthetics. Could anyone shed light on this?

Here are some pinterest pages I set up that fit the image I have as far as what a troll might look like:

https://www.pinterest.com/loficloudsoul/troll-inspirations/

Thank you in advance!

Rules Director
    Keymaster

Cloudsoul,

Those all look like amazing orc images and you could definitely costume in that way if you wished. However, Kingdom/culture just as important as “Race” is in Seventh Kingdom IGE. Being in certain Kingdoms and being allied with the power groups within can be a quick “in” with regards for allies and power. I personally believe that being in a Kingdom (not as a renegade or as an outcast of that Kingdom) can immensely help a player get into Seventh Kingdom and help bypass some of the difficulties of being new to a game and being new to that game’s culture.

Trolls can come from the following Kingdoms to start:

The Labyrinthium — A Kingdom of Pirates, Raiders and Apocalypse Cultists. Most of orc costuming you’ve featured would fit here for the more savage aspects of the Kingdom.

The Mercenary Clans of the Grellken — less a Kingdom and more a collection of militaristic, regimented Trolls and Minotaurs (half-troll/half-demons) with tribal aspects. The costuming you’ve featured would also fit, depending on the Mercenary Clan. For example, the Saruman orc would look at home with the White Mambas.

Ixia — an outlier Kingdom, this culture is pacifistic and philosophical, subverting the usual “greenskin” trope. Because Ixians are the opposite of the expected appearance of the orc archetype, the examples you’ve posted largely don’t fit here.

The Free Tribes — once again, this is not truly a Kingdom. Being Free Tribes is short for “I’m not from any of the major Kingdoms of the world”. On the plus side, you can come in whatever costuming and culture that you like (provided that it fits the setting). On the minus side, you don’t have the “in” that being from a Kingdom has.

"The End to War, the End to Pain,
    these will come in Seventh's reign"

CloudSoul
    Participant

Cloudsoul, Those all look like amazing orc images and you could definitely costume in that way if you wished. However, Kingdom/culture just as important as “Race” is in Seventh Kingdom IGE. Being in certain Kingdoms and being allied with the power groups within can be a quick “in” with regards for allies and power. I personally believe that being in a Kingdom (not as a renegade or as an outcast of that Kingdom) can immensely help a player get into Seventh Kingdom and help bypass some of the difficulties of being new to a game and being new to that game’s culture. Trolls can come from the following Kingdoms to start: The Labyrinthium — A Kingdom of Pirates, Raiders and Apocalypse Cultists. Most of orc costuming you’ve featured would fit here for the more savage aspects of the Kingdom. The Mercenary Clans of the Grellken — less a Kingdom and more a collection of militaristic, regimented Trolls and Minotaurs (half-troll/half-demons) with tribal aspects. The costuming you’ve featured would also fit, depending on the Mercenary Clan. For example, the Saruman orc would look at home with the White Mambas. Ixia — an outlier Kingdom, this culture is pacifistic and philosophical, subverting the usual “greenskin” trope. Because Ixians are the opposite of the expected appearance of the orc archetype, the examples you’ve posted largely don’t fit here. The Free Tribes — once again, this is not truly a Kingdom. Being Free Tribes is short for “I’m not from any of the major Kingdoms of the world”. On the plus side, you can come in whatever costuming and culture that you like (provided that it fits the setting). On the minus side, you don’t have the “in” that being from a Kingdom has.

Thank you for the response!

The kingdom I’m going with is labyrinthium where I was going to play a seeker for one of the cults. I definitely want to fit the aesthetic of the kingdom while also not look heavily like a priest. I definitely need to look into and flesh out the characters background before I begin getting a kit together. That way the way he looks fits his kingdom as well as his lifestyle.

While I was looking into the seeker class I noticed it said that seekers generally are secretive and act as spies. I guess in that aspect they would dress more so like their second identity?

Rules Director
    Keymaster

Cloudsoul,

Seekers can be spies but this is not always their role. Some act as inquisitors for their religion, ensuring that the proper rites and traditions are followed. Seekers from less structured or more philosophical religions (Adarna, Keepers of Fate, the Grellken’s Oana), are less like spies and more like wandering monks/philosophers of their religion (like Friar Tuck or a mendicant friar).

So costuming-wise, you could go with any of the above. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with being a Seeker that isn’t a “spy” — simply a Priest that has an enhanced skillset for assassination and deception.

CloudSoul
    Participant
    • Cloudsoul, Seekers can be spies but this is not always their role. Some act as inquisitors for their religion, ensuring that the proper rites and traditions are followed. Seekers from less structured or more philosophical religions (Adarna, Keepers of Fate, the Grellken’s Oana), are less like spies and more like wandering monks/philosophers of their religion (like Friar Tuck or a mendicant friar). So costuming-wise, you could go with any of the above. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with being a Seeker that isn’t a “spy” — simply a Priest that has an enhanced skillset for assassination and deception.

Oh word! Do you know who the current leader for the Qabalim is? I was going to go with the cthulu esque religous order (Ryeleh I think it is). Thank you again for all of the help thus far?

CloudSoul
    Participant

Question mark not intended at the end there.

Rules Director
    Keymaster

Cloudsoul,

The current leader of the Qabbalim is Kritek of the Thousand Teeth. He is not religious at all and one of the strongest Witches in Midworld for at least two reasons. He has lent  his aid to the Player Characters from time to time (and vice versa), but his relationship with them is complex.

This was after a vicious internal battle where he emerged the victor. He rules alongside (but mostly above) the Favored Son, which is the head Priest of the Vigil of the Dark Mother and speaker for the other Vigils.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.