Spells: Spell-Storing Melee VS Touch

Home Forums Rules Spells: Spell-Storing Melee VS Touch

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rules Director Rules Director 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jordan
    Jordan
    Participant

I was looking at the ‘Witch-Blade’ which can store a non-ritual, Basic, Bolt or Touch spell inside of it. Some spells don’t have the keywords Bolt or Touch, but they have Melee. Personally, I would have thought that Melee and Touch are synonymous enough to be the same keyword, but at the same time they are NOT the same keyword, so I wanted to be sure. There was also the thought in my head that the Touch keyword is meant to be for Support-type effects and Bolt is meant to be Offensive; therefore, Melee would be like an Offensive Touch?

An additional question I had after typing this all out: Do spells without the Touch keyword that later unlock Touch effects gain the Touch Keyword? For example, the Gift of Graceful Waters spell (assuming you have Spiritual Bond to store a Complex spell) states:

Favor of the Spirits skill: If you reach one of your Favored by the end of this count, you may touch them (with a hand or weapon) and say “Heal 10” to regain 10 HP.

Anyway, the main questions are:

1. Does the Melee keyword count as the Touch keyword?
    2. Do spells that gain a Touch effect gain the Touch keyword?
    Profile photo of Rules Director
    Rules Director
    Keymaster

Jordan,

1. No, it does not.

2. No, they do not.

Edit: As you know, Keyword specificity is important. This is why most bonuses to healing specify that they only improve “healing-type” spells… Revive spells are not “healing-type spells”.

"The End to War, the End to Pain,
    these will come in Seventh's reign"

Profile photo of Jordan
    Jordan
    Participant

Ahh gotcha gotcha, I understand. Sorry for the load of questions over the last couple weeks. Most of them are self-explanatory I feel so I feel bad, but sometimes there’s a case like Kayla’s Cry Havoc question where certain phrases or words still exist on the webpages that no longer should exist. So, I wanted to get clarifications in case something I’m explaining to someone is an up-to-date rule or not. Thank you for putting up with my shenanigans though! xD

Profile photo of Mike Robey
    Mike Robey
    Participant

I’d actually like to ask a question regarding the specificity thing. Gift of wrathful flame makes your next physical attack 10 fire at it’s most basic level. Of you have a +5 to damaging spells, would it apply? I ask because wrathful flame very much toes the line between a typical one shot attack spell and an augmentation like the gift of branding flame, though it does have the augmentation keyword.

Profile photo of Rules Director
    Rules Director
    Keymaster

Mike,

Yes, this would apply to Gift of Wrathful Flame.

"The End to War, the End to Pain,
    these will come in Seventh's reign"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.