March 2019 Highlights (svp reward)

Home Forums Events March 2019 Highlights (svp reward)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nicholas Gritsipis 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt Wagner
    Keymaster

This moon, the Freefolk stole a Divine Foci from Portia but at the cost of Kritek, Witch King of the North & South, who was slain during the battle by Portia herself.  Additionally, the Freefolk distracted Portia long enough for Nihilus to catch up to her, and when he did, her long life was brought to an abrupt end.

Tell us what you liked about this event by answering the questions below.
    You will receive up to five service points per question. 

Questions should require no more than a paragraph to answer. Please write in complete sentences. Short answers that do not answer the question completely will be given less credit when Service points are rewarded. You must have attended the March 2019 event in order to be eligible for this reward.

1. What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why?
    2. What was your favorite role-play encounter this event? Why?
    3. What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?
    4. What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?
    5. What was the most immersive experience for you during the event and why?

Matt Wagner -- Game Director of Seventh Kingdom IGE

West Schliemann
    Participant

What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why?

The afternoon fight against Portia’s retinue.  Along with the Shin Terasu scrap below, I learned (too late in the mod) how crucial it is to kill lieutenants.  I’m confident the other Immortals’ lieutenants won’t survive mass combat so unanimously now that we’ve been sobered by that fight and Kritek’s death.

What was your favorite role-play encounter this event? Why?

The minutes before the monarchs convened.  The Kingslayer walked in just as I received the vexing news that Tybalt Vard and Alexius Pendrakken stole a Divine Focus.  I was not in a deferent mood.  I spoke with more strength than I usually manage with him, and was pretty respectful… except for the part where, after sitting on it for three years, I finally told him my Kingslayer pun.  One that, prior, nobody had heard except for Maria one time.  Welcome to endgame, guys.Adrianna pulling up was a pleasant surprise.  She responded to my letter earlier, frustrated that I’d included the phrase “come the actual fuck on” in a failed Patronage expenditure to goad her into a plan she’d already rejected.  She wrote that I wore her patience thin, and warned me to drop the subject.  But still, we both managed warm smiles immediately.  I can’t speak for Lyndsey, but I got the sense we were just happy to see each other alive in this horror show.  So, immediately, I open with “You know, you’re within your rights to curse back if it’d bring you catharsis.”

======
    Honorable mentions:

-Removing the parasite from Kelas, and KBing him with a ‘go to sleep’ hold that got nerds laughing hysterically.

-Opening boxes with Delphie. Ask me in-person.

Shin Terasu, former King of Kenrei and current God-Emperor of one-liners.  I challenged him to an iaijutsu duel as an aggrieved Midworlder.  When offered the final chance to apologize, he dropped a line implying he joined Portia voluntarily (citing the class divisions and brutality of Kenrei).  Thanks to the Vallah debuff, I made a fun lil bit of history by throwing the record-weakest Master Assassinate in the game (dropped a meaty 25 silver), but we both survived.  In the second half of main mod, he tore through me with the Iron Sage capstone feature and went “and that’s how our duel should’ve ended.”

-Jade.  Sheep’s aura and RP chops are genuine gifts to this game.  Even if it was over bits of contention (West’s push for her to be hand, Jade’s push to get him to leave the Spell-Tower, and his anxiety-ridden apology letter), it was nice getting to interact with her as a character beyond innkeeping.

4. What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so? Nihilus killing Portia.  Nessa (and, by extension, Staffpack over these past years), did an excellent job of ramping up a sense of danger around Portia for literal years.  “Mommy isn’t playing anymore” coming over that mic during main mod will haunt nerds for ages to come.  Between Mirror shutting up people who were going “hey, it’s Nihilus”, Ulrik and some others swarming her, and me peppering her with some spells, I even felt like I had a bit of agency in that scrap between gods.

Especially after the morale drop of losing Kritek (and by extension, compromising our Immortal-killing plan unless we find a new Witch-Monarch fast), Portia’s death was a wildly satisfying release.

Bonus points – some of the PCs think we have a plan to crush Nihilus with mechanics that already exist, instead of a unique Main Mod-esque mechanic or ritual.  Joben’s handmaiden foreshadowing, Jack of Knives’s lamentations, and the fallout from Flowers’s conversation with him and Felicity really iced the cake.

5.  What was the most immersive experience for you during the event and why?

Performing the ritual to prime the Soul Jar.  I had three great places to draw inspiration from: the Vallah ritual mods (“speak this incantation – and do not falter”), the community’s desire for alternatives to Channeling, and what little lore we have about Sha’ir Demon-binders (which is what inspired the crossed broken circles inside the unbroken one).  Actually doing it was a rush, and it seemed like people really responded to it.

Maria Paleologo
    Participant
      I love love loved the battles with the lieutenants both in main mod and during the afternoon. I make no secret about how much I love dominate affects being thrown around, but make them master because I’m nightkin? Beautiful, spectacular. It makes the NPC part of my PC heart full. While everyone else is weak from a disease, that once again, does nothing to me because I’m a nightkin? I loved it. It made battling super fun and dangerous. During the afternoon I especially loved the RP I got in with the First Daughter and Jack of Knives. With the First Daughter, I was caught behind enemy lines on the beach when a dominate effect went off. I did my usual Mal thing “Oh come on, you don’t want to fight me. I’m a demon, you’re a demon, I speak Shensai, you speak Shensai. We’re basically the same.” And Thor called me out and had me put my money where my mouth is, by telling me without dominate to go kill Kelas.
      And with Jack of Knives, he really made me debate my love of dominates and my hatred of Qabbalim. When I was a spirit wandering around, he offered to rez me with the obvious caveat that he was most likely going to dominate me right afterwards. It took me a solid minute of looking between Koko egging me on, and my friends giving me “don’t you do it, Mal.” looks. I ultimately refused the heal, but god was it tempting to back in swinging.
      I really enjoyed being the Spring Spirit this month. That mod has always meant a lot to me, because it was my first ever mod at this game that wasn’t new player mod. Back in March 2014, Nana took a scared little ishtari priestess and was like “come with me” and set me down a path of major characterization for that character. I made sure to retire Katyusha after she experienced the spring mod at least one last time. And now, five years later on the last march of the game, I got to play the pivotal character that defined my first few hours at seventh kingdom. It meant a lot to me, and reminded me just how much I love this group of people.
      LORE DEMON. I love whenever he shows up. People can attest to how often I’ve independently brought him up these last few days, due to how much I loved interacting with him. I can’t tell if he’s just messing with me since one of my first questions to him was if we were related some how, but this event it cemented Malindra’s suspicions. Talking wines, saying she would like certain ones other mortals shouldn’t touch (WHAT IS THE WINE OF THE ANCIENTS?????), saving her for last for the downing in the ritual, bringing her to safety first (‘most important first’ what does it mean wags???????), talking shop about business with Cob, reading demonic????? Walking him out of town?????????? I feel like Charlie with his conspiracy board and it is amazing.
      I greatly enjoyed the infiltration mod as one of the shrouded individuals. Malindra is not the most intimidating of characters in my self analysis, but having to realize “oh man I have probably the second highest body and the most magic, shit I’m responsible for this going well,” really sobered me. It was great too with the impending time limit and having to corral a murderous child.
      Honestly, post main mod when the Inthians were just lined up in the hallway. Waiting. We all knew what was coming with the Kingslayer. We knew we had MAYBE hours left. Just seeing some hardened criminals making sure their wills were in tact and resigned to their fate was amazing. We were so in our own heads about it that we didn’t even realize that an Immortal being DEAD could change our fate. We remembered in time, thankfully, but damn if it wasn’t immersive as all get out.

"When you have three, you have three. When you have two, you have two. When you have one, you have none." Night wisp riddle

Shelby Miller
    Participant

My favorite combat this event would have to be both the Saturday Afternoon fight with Portia and Main Mod. I lovvvvvvveeeddd the Afternoon mod. I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I walked with the Lore Demon to the beach to keep an eye on him. Portia had showed in all her bug glory and saw through our spying and fighting ensued. In an attempt to get back to town, we all began a retreat however a dominate by Jack of Knives held me back for a sweet neck snap death by Portia. I resurrected in minutes to join the fight again. This was a very long fight. All I can say is….so many dominates.

Main Mod was equality enjoy despite Freehold not getting their ideal win. The battle had definitely been difficult, especially the Lieutenants had been hard to take down and keep down. I like the mechanics of the immortal weapons. Though the boxes to open the portal proved to be our biggest downfall ^^;. We won some and lost some as well. I find the emotional pull this fight brought after Kritek died made us that much more hell-bent on taking down Portia. I think as a town we really worked together despite the toughness of this battle. It could have been worse.

My favorite rp moment would have to be that Portia Neck snap moment. It was drawn out and priceless and regardless of me having several Pures, I totally took that death because it was epic in my eyes.  I also enjoyed the sweet rp skills of my fellow players when it came to cutting out the Portia Babies from people. People were crying out, yelling, and getting really into the roleplay. I am so proud of you guys, and all the people that wanted to use some fake blood to make it that much more intense. Blood for the Unsmiling one!

What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?

Portia- I loved facing Portia so much. I’m actually slightly sad that she is now dead (only slightly though.) I’m happy to take my first life loss to an Immortal taunting me and then snapping my neck. It was a pretty intense moment. Portia truly had a soothingly creepy aura about her, I hadn’t expected her to take down the witch king with that much ease. Great job!

Jack of Knives- Oh boy. This NPC really annoyed Delphie and I’m sure it was vice versa. From the time Jack showed up to help get the Sword of Five Dragons from Tenebrous months before, Delphie hated working with him and didn’t trust him. So fighting him throughout event had been a lot of fun as insults were exchanged, fighting ensued, and killing blows traded. Definitely one of the tougher people to fight with all the dominates being thrown out.

Unity- I love Unity so much. I think having such innocence around to have these harmless and fun mods allows us a small break between intense mods.

Fine! I’ll throw the Lore Demon into this as well. Man does he push Delphie’s buttons so much. From him actually being a demon, to his snobbish way he talks, and to the comments about Solari culture. Delphie had to use some serious SP to resist attacking him.

What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?

The Tea Party mod was a lot of fun and very light spirited. Little things like this lift our spirits, especially when we get our asses handed to us by an Immortal. I also enjoyed the rp with Eirywn when searching for components early in the morning. It was nice to discuss search methods, trade tiny pieces for backstory and also treasure chests! So many Treasure chests!

Special Mention to the random shenanigans right after the night battle on Friday. I had been complaining the entire fight against the Yao-Guai that they kept crippling and breaking my limbs. On top of that I had to continue to resist charm against Raz who kept messing with me since my new Amulet hates him. Some Freeholders decided to mess with Delphie and ganged up to broke every limb in her body and then allowed the World Lock Cyrus (sp?) to shallow Delphie. Honestly, it was a tough month for reasons and I was really unease on how to continue Delphie. It was a stupid but reminded me on all the banter I have with other Freeholders as Delphie. This part really had me smiling and laugh. Thank you guys. I really mean that from the bottom of my heart.

What was the most immersive experience for you during the event and why?

The most Immersive moment in game would have to be when Baelor, Siywn, Maerla, and the Queen of Stars came in the inn all beaten and bloody. I’m sure the shock was clear on my face as we learned the news of Blaire and how Lecter knew about the attack. I hadn’t expected this turn of events and I really thought we were making some top quality choices with aid and such. Maerla’s death as well was a huge hit to everyone I think as well. The dark and hard events and emotions really allows me to get into my character and I felt truly angered and upset at what happened and really put me into motion on what to do next. I worried for my friends in town and really began to worry how we were ever going to come out alive. Plus it gave me a top notch theory on Lector. *You’ll have to ask me Privately, I don’t want to Spoil it. XD

Delphie Cu Gohrrim~ Dyed Woman ~ Hand of the Enovy of Fir’ Bolg

Bitch of the Bolg

Erica Nilsen
    Participant

As an NPC, anything that required me to be a Yoi-Gwy (Yoa Guy?  Bugs.  Buggy bug.)  The ability to double cripple limb was great and the ability to use a projectile spiced up the battles.

2) What was your favorite role-play encounter this event? Why?

I absolutely loved the RP where this insect enthusiast had a magical bug net that would pacify the bug enemies and some of the players were helpful, others not.  Interestingly enough, a Tranquil Breeze communicated to me in bug speak and I hammed it up to see where it would go.  I played it that I was to start following her around as an obsessive friend and eventually another PC taught me how to open doors.  In doing so, I entered inside the inn, unopposed, and began to wreck Blue’s Shop for 5 minutes before someone did something.  I clarified that some of Blue’s stock was eaten or nibbled away, finally I was assassinated and my body was thrown into the bathroom.  I stayed inside until Artemis came inside to burn my body, to which I twitched and scared the tail of her.  It was hilarious and players were willing to stick to the bit.

3) What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?

Since I was the NPC, I would like to give character shout outs: Tranquil Breeze, Delphi, Perth(? might be his name), working with Travis during the tea party mod, Argo, and Kelas.

4)What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?

Favorite mod- Insect keeper mod and the afternoon battle.  I like the storylines and game mechanics made for the enemies.

5)What was the most immersive experience for you during the event and why?

Honestly, the battles, I know it’s not specific but after being away for a long time, I worried about my combat skill.  I did not want to hurt anyone or myself to become injured so that was always a small fear, but I did well.  I will never say I am amazing but I had great back and forths with players.  Sometimes people push forward or do not stick to the Step and Grunt rule (pushing forward without giving breathing room or a chance to hit).  But fighting with PCs was excellent this month and it helped me feel more confident.

Thanks staff for a great event, it reminded me how much I missed this and its spurring me to attend the remaining events this year, no matter the cost.  And Vanessa, love the food my lady!!!!

Jordan
    Participant

That long-ass ambush with Portia banishing the Dapper Demon (I still dunno his name, but wags plays him and I wish I could interact with him more but CoL members see Eirwyn and go: GTFO Kid! lol.) Anywho, I absolutely love the basically hour-long P2 combats we have. It may seem really weird, but I genuinely enjoy hiding behind a tree waiting for the enemies to walk away from people that are downed a long way from the core of the fight and popping out to revive peeps. “Hide n Heal~”

<NPCing as a shitty thief and getting tricked by Tranquil(Carly); ran for his life and getting caught by Nayesh Perth(Nick) Yugo(Troy) and the NPC Jack Crull played. It was my first time playing an NPC role that wasn’t 100% defined and caused me to have to find a solution on my own. It was kinda like playing a new PC with an active backstory running and I honestly didn’t know how to deal with it- but other wonderful players of 7k filled in the blanks, and even added an option that wasn’t even on the table: employing the poor bastard, lol. Later he was being introduced to Jack(Dean) and Malindra(Maria) and they very… diplomatically scolded him. (Wait- was I type-casted?? ROFL) But it was overall very enjoyable and a new experience for me!

What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?

King Terasu Shiro and Kingslayer. For the former, it’s also my most immersive experience so I’ll save that. So, Eirwyn had been considering offering a specific item to the Labyrinthium for a whole because he wanted to prevent it from evaporating into nothingness and wanted to hand it over to Kingslayer himself, but the little coward was no match for the intimidating monster of a man, haha. At one point Eirwyn was confronted by him and the entire labby in the inn’s hallway and I choked instead blurting out that looking for Jaxxor. Wild night. xD

What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?

When I was playing as a Yao-Guai and attacked Brother Yagen(dfasdgfasdfbg) without realizing how close to the end of the teleport count they all were and getting ported over to town and being brutally eviscerated. Was pretty hilarious to me. Also major props to Lu/Alice. At one point I literally fell over backwards cuz I was acting all freaked out by her rampaging. Absolutely wonderland. I mean wonderful.

What was the most immersive experience for you during the event and why?

Main Mod. King Terasu Shiro. OMG Marcus!

So. During the entire combat, he’d make comments to us when fighting and chasing and at three points he had hit me with like a piercing grapple. The first time, I broke free but was ironically saved by Nihilus’ appearance into the battle. The second time, he got a few of us on the outskirts and I went over to help but got caught again. He was doing some suspicious crushing thing so I broke free again; downing myself (cuz it takes 10 hp to Great Strength and I only have 10 hp haha) and he got a killing blow off on me. Unfortunately, no healer got to the area in time and I went poof into spirit form. I could have waited for combat to end and get Pured but: 1. I’ve never used a Pure on Eirwyn and didn’t want to start now, and 2. I’m absolutely obsessed with Kenrei and am so sad they died off before I returned. So, my only chance to speak with the Once-King was here and now. I floated around and convinced Violet to revive me despite the repercussions and chased after that glorious bastard. Well. I searched for him. He found me first. Hit me with another grab, but I Dark One’s Own Lucked and watched him hug himself. xD Anyway- I’m getting to my favorite part soon, I promise. So, I taunted him with shit like “What would your people think of what you’ve become?” and “You disgrace your people!” etc etc. (I heard other people do similar, which was awesome for what happened next.) So. Eventually we were able to down him, and like the vultures we are, we started looting him. When I got over, I interrupted their looting begging them to let him die with dignity, even going as far as stopping Yugo from Killing Blowing him. I began stabilizing Marcus, and he cut off his own demonic arm! The only thing going through my head oog was: ‘was this scripted or improv from our bullshit?’ He began conversing with us; well, mostly Ulrich and Yugo. But what really HIT me was when he said “Don’t restore Kenrei… make a better one…” and I swear I fucking cried. Afterward, we even burned his body (lighting up my scarf on him at first) and said our emotional good-byes. Arrrgh! <3

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jordan. Reason: stupid copy paste from google doc issues

Nicholas Gritsipis
    Participant
      Main mod was an absolute blast. During the first portian (excuse my puns), I was the only one guarding the third chrysalis for the majority of the time, until eventually like 4 Yao-Guai ambushed me. I unbuttoned my shirt, took off my hat and scarf while they circled around, and took stance. It was honestly the most bad ass I’ve ever felt cleaving through at least two of them and scaring one off before the last got me down.  I may not be able to put makeup or things on my face because of my nasal issues, but I put on fake blood for my neck and hands to show the fights results.
      Ok so I collected a lot of legs. Like, im not talking 10 or 20, closer to 30 or 40 at least. I was working on sorting all my demon body parts around when the merchants showed up at the inn and were transmuting. Imagine the shock on their faces when I dumped a literal barrel load of legs and asked for prices. They did refuse (no matter how many suggestions I threw at them) to transmute them, but from sheer laughter and memorability it gets a leg up.
      I liked interacting with Alice a ton. Shes so funny and bloodthirsty that the juxtaposition is perfect. I befriended her and she started attacking me because thats how she treats her friends. Let me restate. I GOT MAULED BY MY BESTIE. It was great.
      I really loved the tea party. I was constantly on edge for something to go wrong or the ceiling goblin to use our own weapons against us, but the real icing on the cake hole was eating a munchkin out of the mouth of the goblin and grossing everyone out. Argo later offered me one that I yeeted out of his hand before leaving to go back to the inn.
      The final mod with Nihilus and Portia. She was striking the inn and nobody was stopping her, so Perth did what any sane bogger would do. He taunted her and ran off the porch, taunted Jack Of Knives, bowed politely, and then jumped into the Aether like a mouse to his hole. Jack Of Knives followed me through the Aether and executed me in the hinterlands, but being able to pull the biggest threats away long enough to turn the tide of the battle was such a huge character moment that it needs to be said.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.