Comfort Food (Open!)

Home Forums Annie’s Inn Comfort Food (Open!)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicole Wheatley Nicole Wheatley 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sheep
    Sheep
    Participant

The news of Anubisath’s wreckage was still fresh enough to bleed, and the innkeeper knew she was far from the only one suffering from such a tragedy. Four cities were hit, her own home being among them. There was no telling whether she could visit or even write to make sure that her family was okay. That Trustworth Securities was holding up. Suspense was one of the worst things to be dealt with.

One of the only ways she could keep her mind strayed from all these invasive thoughts, besides stress cleaning everyone’s rooms and the main area, was baking biscuits from a recipe Sweet Pea had taught her. Maybe the offer of something sweet in these dark times could help bring the heroes close. It also helped that the ovens kept the place warm from the chill outside.

Jade arranged the biscuits that were done and cooled in pretty arrangements, decorated with rock candy in between. Once those were presented on the kitchen windows, she slid her coat on so she could step outside, rub her hands together, and make the familiar call to anyone who could hear her.

“FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!”

Sim.
    Sheep in wolf's clothing.
    I'm the shiny new innkeeper.

Profile photo of Kato
    Kato
    Participant

*The Gotterdammerung Envoy was praying.  He was praying for his homeland, his allies, for Freehold, for Pax, and even for Anubisath.  He heard the call for food and paused, trying to think.  He realized he hadn’t eaten since very early Sunday morning.  Lissette had placed several plates of food out for him, and taken them away several hours after when they were frozen by the cold that prevaded the Temple.  The cambion grumbled, and got up.  He needed food, and he needed it now.  He had waited too long.  With a sigh, he gave up his prayers and headed to the Inn.  He hoped that each prayer was a weight off a dead one’s scales.  And he hoped that the dead in his own homeland were not too many considering the scope of the tragedy.

When he got to the Inn, he realized how hungry he was, he reached in the black leather pouch at his side and grabbed a flask, took a long, hard pull, then set it on the counter for the dwarf.  He had more than one snide comment when Jade had taken over the Inn.  But, it seemed the woman was remarkable at weathering even his hazing, and he had grown to like her.  He would never let her know that, though.  It wouldn’t do to break with tradition.*
    “A little taste of real liquor, if you dwarves can stand things not brewed from mushrooms or whatever rot you call booze under the dirt.  I’m sure Bobby’s courier service is going to have its work cut out for it this moon.  How you holding up?”

IG Nayesh
    Alt 1: Darius Torteval
    Alt 2: Garnet Stoneflow
    OOG Jason "Kato" Krips

Profile photo of Sheep
    Sheep
    Participant

Granted, Nayesh was far from one of her favored faces around the town, but today they shared something. She took his quip with a grain of salt and just gave him a tight-lipped smile as she took up his offer and tried whatever was in his flask. It made her grimace, and she set it back down on the counter.

“Don’t mushrooms thrive on dead things? I thought you Dammerungs loved that kind of stuff.” she said back with a little wrinkle of her nose. She nudged the plate of biscuits further, taking one for herself to start to rid her tongue of the harshness she just consumed. Shrugged, she bit into the confection. “Well…I guess there’s no point in lying right now. I’m really fucking sad. First, I lost Indy, and now Malak Travak is probably crushed under a mountain of ice.”

Sim.

Profile photo of Kato
    Kato
    Participant

“You know, popular misconception is that we LIKE dead things.  We respect them, we honor their memories and their spirits.  Spirits are not dead to us, just another form of life.  I put on a lot of airs.  Not all of them are fake. But I can tell you this, I hate mushrooms.  They’re icky and taste funny.  It made things very hard not being able to eat meat, because a lot of cooks substitute them for meat.  Until I came here.  The Innkeepers here have always been really good with it.  Yourself included.”
    *Nayesh took another pull of the licorice-smelling flask before putting it down and taking a biscuit.*

“I’ll tell you what I told my people here.  The kingdoms are strong.  You had a mountain which housed a majority of Midworld’s wealth.  You’ll survive. So will we.  And if the Kingdoms did fall, we still have our people.  We had each other’s backs on the battlefield, possibly too much so.  Might’ve been better to let one or two go from the beginning rather than lose four.  But we’ll never know.”
    *the Cambion had a rare look of sadness pass over his face*
    “Executrix Alita deserved better, so did the King-Priest, and all the others there. But, we need to stay our mourning until we know exactly what happened.  We need to tighten our belts, and pray.  When word reaches us, which I’m hoping will be before the month’s end, we’ll know where help needs to go.  Penelope is a business woman.  She knows how to evaluate loss and save the business by closing a few branches.  And I don’t suspect for a minute that is not a call we’re going to have to make.  Whether now or some time in the future.  But, it is a time for the leaders of this town to try to make everyone smile.  That includes you.  And remember, YOU didn’t lose Indie. WE did.  She was a great woman, sure she had her intricacies but we all do.  Remember her laugh?  You could hear it all the way to the sleeping rooms!”

IG Nayesh
    OOG Jason "Kato" Krips

Profile photo of Sheep
    Sheep
    Participant

Jade side-stepped as she listened to pour herself a cup of house ale. The biscuits came out a little drier than she expected, and she made herself a mental note to keep more alcohol on tap. She was sure the heroes who decided to stick around during the season were definitely going to need more than usual. It also didn’t help that it was difficult to stand still. A nervous tick.

“The way I see it is, we all lost her individually. We experienced her in different ways, and I’m not gonna argue who was closer to her or not. I don’t like those sort of games, but it was really rude of her to die in close timing with all this other shit that’s going on.” She was joking, of course. Mostly. “I don’t mean this in any disrespect, but the living who have to go through this really do deserve better than those who lost their lives. They’re probably at peace now, or at they’re not in pain. We’re stuck behind shouldering all that weight.”

Jade never really dealt with death this intimately before, so frustration was as apparent on her features as the glimmering stone on her cheek. “Penelope’s the one who let me know. I’m glad she’s alive, but…I’m worried for her. She’s the only person from my home that I know is still breathing.” That thought earned another long sip of ale.

Sim.

Profile photo of Shelby Miller
    Shelby Miller
    Participant

The cold chill had been relentless in this time of true devastation. Despite the death of the once Witch-King of the North Anubisath which put an end to his icy wrath, the chill still remained. The barren cold linger as if to taunt the Freefolk of their failure to stop the stars from falling down onto four major capitals. There was no news of the damage so far and many had left to survey the destruction and body count. One elf in particular had stayed behind as always. Delphie Cu Gohrrim hadn’t returned to the kingdom of Fir’ Bolg nor her clan of Gohrrim in a long time. Since Cath’ Muirthemne and the attack on her clan she moons ago, had decided to stay in the local area. There were many reasons behind her actions, though none she was willing to share with the world. The blonde with short hair had been sitting on one of the benches outside for quite some time. Had it been Hours? Days even? She was unsure.
    Consumed by her thoughts. Tortured by their unsuccessful attempt to close the portals. Though mostly destroyed by guilt. The warrior elf had stepped away from defending her kingdom’s portal to reclaim her life from Aggamar. Those 30 seconds she was away could have saved her kingdom. One life for thousands. Seamus had been in the capital, the possibility of him being dead was high. Surely everyone had made mistakes, from yelling and fighting with each other on the battlefield, people following the Rune Eater instead of helping closing the portals, and the disorganization of the Freefolk had cause them all to fail. Yet nothing could remove the guilt on her heart that those 30 seconds away potentially killed thousands upon thousands of people. She lift the flask given to her and drew it to her lips as she shivered from the onslaught of frosty winds. The metal container had been bare for some time as she had finished it a half hour ago but yet she raise it hoping it would magically provide liquid comfort again. It didn’t.
    Instead she heard the loud call from the Inn, the voice the familiar voice of Jade. The mention of food welcoming people back inside, perhaps in hopes to mend the hearts of those who still remained in town. Delphie stood up with a shiver and walked to the inn, stumbling slightly from her frozen asleep legs and the large amount of liquor she already consumed. Her axes has been place on her back in an undrawn state for a change as she entered the inn. Her eyes looking at both the Cambion Envoy from Gotterdammerung and Inn Keeper as she entered the room that smelled of fresh biscuits. You could tell both were suffering similar grief by the look on their faces as both of their kingdoms have suffered the same fate as hers. “Hey…” The one word was the only thing that escape. No witty comebacks, no sassy words for Nayesh who she had fought with. She didn’t have it in her.

There was an Elfin lady Bright,
    The Sun shines fair on Fir' Bolg wall.
    And she would marry a Gohrrim Knight,
    For Love is still the lord of all.

Delphie Cu Gohrrim~ Wild Elf ~ Fir' Bolg

Profile photo of James Mattia
    James Mattia
    Participant

Zircon was disappointed at himself that he assisted as much as he did during the battle itself. The end result of the four capitals being hit was an insignificant lost He had little ties to his own Kingdom and as of recent days even less still. He stayed at the inn mindlessly transmuting in the lab and smelting ingots at the forge. His determination to finish what he started was just out of reach, so he worked tirelessly.
    He was stirred by the sudden outburst of “Foooood!” Coming from the inn. He recognized Jade’s voice and realized it had been hours since his last meal, he stopped his current project and marched into the inn proper. Jade and Zircon had never spoke other that of small talk and business. Zircon thought it would be good form to patiently wait until Nayesh and Jade finished their conversation. He stood nearby only catching the tail end of their conversation. After all with emotions running high, it was crass talking that got Mad Crow murdered on the footsteps of the inn.

Profile photo of Sheep
    Sheep
    Participant

As she struggled to try and explain her thoughts and feelings to Nayesh, she could begin to hear the footsteps of others approaching. She was relieved more for the sake that there was more people around than she expected. More people she could hopefully ask advice on how to cope with everything, or perhaps just trudge through this cold, dead season together.

Delphie and Zircon shuffled in, one after the other, and Jade picked up a plate closer to the stove so they didn’t have to walk all the way over to eat. It wasn’t much, but it was the least she could do for the battles they’ve endured in the past few days. “I, um…” she stammered, “I just refilled the ale if you need to warm yourselves up. I’ll have the wine out soon if you prefer that.”

Alcohol seemed to be the go-to in helping others become a little less sad, albeit temporarily. But it was an appropriate time for such.

“There’s no pressure to talk about anything, but I’m here if you need to just rant for a while. I even have a few pillows to scream into, if that’s your sort of preference.”

Sim.

Profile photo of James Mattia
    James Mattia
    Participant

Zircon said nothing but grabbed a plate of food while sliding some coin over to her. He offered a slight nod in acknowledgement as he made his way over to the casks. Nothing really needed to be said he thought to himself, he knew what they were feeling all too well. Guilt for not spending enough time with loved ones. Regret for not doing more when they could, and the anger that comes with knowing the gods could have done something to prevent what transpired but instead did nothing. He smirked when he sat down, a small solace that so many hurt like he had once upon a time. “Maybe this was the push that was needed for more people to be driven to my same goal… Maybe more will become the monsters they need to be to set things right…” He thought to himself while eating his snack quietly.

Profile photo of Kato
    Kato
    Participant

*Nayesh thought for a few moments, then smiled at Zircon’s quiet musing*
    “Think of it not like we lost four Kingdoms, but that we saved five.  There were nine portals.  We saved how many thousands of people?  Maybe even a million or more.  Jotunbrud, Callas Selvarion and the others will come to our aid.  Gabriella may be sore at losing the world lock, but she has gifted us before.  Hopefully, we can call on Ren and Commandante to put a little lean on her to aid us more than she wants right now.  For my part, I played the devil’s advocate to ease her sore nerves.  This is the big time.  This isn’t the Itzam Ye getting uppity and needing a beatdown.  This isn’t the Dusken Vale trying to turn us into fertilizer and us taking their toy and turning it into one of the most useful fonts of necromantic power ever created.  We need to keep the pressure on to keep building a better world.  That’s how we destroy the last of Anubisath’s legacy. But, I’ve always found solace in getting right back to work instead of grieving.  The process is different for everyone. “

IG Nayesh
    OOG Jason "Kato" Krips

Profile photo of Sheep
    Sheep
    Participant

“To be fair…not all of the kingdoms were lost.” Jade reminded the envoy, “Granted, the main cities are a bit fucked at the moment. Although, the Labyrinth might be more unfortunate than the other three. But the surrounding areas will be okay.”

At the mention of the plagued witch-queen, she got a small shudder in her spine. Every time she was here, there was always black stains in the floorboards…

She shook her head at herself and took another biscuit. “It’s strangely cathartic by trying to bury one’s sorrows with work, isn’t it? The effects last just a little longer than drinking them away.” She side-glanced at the two others in the room out of curiosity. “But it’s like you said, Nayesh. People cope differently. I’m honestly pretty nervous about my income now. If Trustworth goes down, I’m gonna be poor.”

Sim.

Profile photo of Alan
    Alan
    Participant

“Not just you I’m afraid.  The Iron Bank was heavily involved in the economy of just about every Kingdom on Midworld.’  Maioch stepped through the door from the hallway.  He hated to lay out harsh truths at a time like this, but even in death Anubisath inflicted terrible damage.  ‘House Lithvir will be aiding as much as it can at this time.  Alena and I will be directing aid where it’s needed.”

He reached for one of the biscuits, the warmth helped to drive the cold out of his hands.  “We’re going to save what and whom we can.”

Profile photo of Nicole Wheatley
    Nicole Wheatley
    Participant

Alena stood in the church of the seven united giving a simple prayer to those who suffered in the fallen kingdoms and the lost of Pax.  Despite making the man unhind by paranormicy, she had often gone to the man for guilfance being one of the few in town to listen to her unproven theories.  Hearing the cry for food she left the church picking up her book of secrets with the newest thoughts about the witch queen .  She enter the inn not in the interest of food but rather what she was known for to hide in people’s shadows to gain intel.

Profile photo of Fred Hirsch
    Fred Hirsch
    Participant

He staggered up the steps.  Drunker than usual, not caring.

He had gone out cocky as usual.  Annoyed that Flowers made him put the polearm away and grab his swords.  As his Priestess, she ordered him to get weapons.  His longbow had been in pieces, and he had not bothered to grab his shortbow.  He felt he would be fine with just a few short swords.  These were the Freefolk.  They could handle this.

The cold blasts had blown him around.  He’d been knocked down at least a dozen times, but the Freefolk were there.  Violet Rayne was a Spirit.  Even that was fixable.  The Freefolk were there. Right until the time that the husk that had been Pax was dropped at his feet.  The shock when he assessed the damage to the body was too much.  That was when he felt something he had not felt the past few years.  Doubt. The Freefolk might not be enough.

A Jotun was attacking people trying to close each of the portals.  He was stabbing them with his battle standard.  That made no sense.  Godfrey watched him turn to the elemental bastards and say “I’m with you! We can stop them!”

The doubt turned to anger.  Then, one of his friends attacked him.  That was when the anger turned to blind rage.  If he hadn’t been blown away, he might have spirited Zansa.  He would not have cared if Flowers tried to punish him.  He would have stood as tall as he could in front of William.  He was colder than the elementals at that point.

Then the bottom dropped out of his world.  Portals closed.  Not enough.

When he realized that one had hit the Bog, he was in shock.  He hadn’t spoken to his family in years.  Suddenly, his thoughts were not with Freehold or the Keepers.  He only cared about his family.  Where in the Bog did it hit? Who survived?

When they got back to town, he knew what he had to do.  He had done some quick transmutations, then prepared to leave.  But he didn’t because he couldn’t.  He needed something first.  He could not go home without it.  That meant it would take time.  Time to sit and think.  Time to wonder.  Time to worry.

That meant he had time to drink.  So he did.  He drank whatever he could get his hands on.  He dozed where ever he could, woke up and drank some more.  He had slept in the bushes, or in trees.  He had slept under the porch of the inn where he could fit.  He didn’t care.  He didn’t notice the dirt.  He didn’t notice the dried blood matted on the side of his face.  He didn’t notice the tip of his left ear, still a bloody mess.

He was bleary eyed as he walked into the Inn.  He had heard the call of food.  He didn’t remember the last time he ate.  Yesterday? The day before? It didn’t matter.  Just get enough food to keep going.  Maybe look at the lore tomes again.  Study.  Then go drink and sleep some more.  He could make out shapes but not faces and names were not registering.  Just the smell of food and the uncomfortable warmth of the Inn.  He slowly limped over towards Jade.  Yes, that was her name.  Jade.  The Dwarf who always managed to have a sly smile.

He reached into his pouch for some gold, and slid it across the counter.  He couldn’t make eye contact.  He knew she had lost people.  He wasn’t ready for the emotions to wash over him again. He mumbled a soft thank you as she handed his food across and shambled to a dark corner.

"Men like us are not born! Bards make us up!" - Blik ///////\\\\\\\

"Oh, I like it here in Freehold! Is it always this exciting??" - Godfrey - Hard ways for hard times.

Profile photo of Nicole Wheatley
    Nicole Wheatley
    Participant

Alena tilt her head from a dark corner of the inn taking in the conversations hearing the heavy thump of footsteps common with those who were limping.  She focused on the sound following the person’s movements until they had settled into another dark corner.  She moved silently resting her hand on his shoulder.  “Hello Geffory, I hope this helps a little.” She whispered softly using magic to heal his injures before letting go of his shoulder.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.