August 2017 Event Highlights (svp reward)

Home Forums Events August 2017 Event Highlights (svp reward)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Wagner Matt Wagner 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Matt Wagner
    Matt Wagner
    Keymaster

The source of the mysterious explosion in the Hinterlands has been discovered and contained by the efforts of the Freefolk. Meanwhile, business continues to flourish as everyone prepares for the harvest season to come.

Tell us what you liked about this event by answering the questions below.
    You will receive up to five service points per question. 

Questions should require no more than a paragraph to answer. Please write in complete sentences. Short answers that do not answer the question completely will be given less credit when Service points are rewarded. You must have attended the August 2017 event in order to be eligible for this reward.

1. What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why?
    2. What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?
    3. What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?
    4. What was the most immersive in-game moment of the weekend for you?
    5. What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why?

THIS SVP OFFER EXPIRES ON 8-21-2017 at 12am.

Matt Wagner -- Game Director of Seventh Kingdom IGE

Profile photo of Shelby Miller
    Shelby Miller
    Participant

What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why?

One of my favorite combat would have to be as usual main mod. Main mod was great because with all the curses Delphie had, she was able to use them to her advantage and take down as many monsters as possible. I don’t think I’ve ever killing-blowed so many enemies like that. I also think the fighting dynamic that was formed and brought into main mod was effective and I think we all worked very well together. We were not involved with the main objective of the getting the item in the box, but I think we provided some serious support.

An honorable mention would be when we had to protect several Freeholder’s bodies as they completed a task. This proved be a bit challenging as some monsters began to lead us away and try to separate us from the group and going the threat of more curses being piled on made it more important to stay together.

What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?

I hadn’t had any huge NPC interaction this event but there was some light humor between Delphie and Brother Whisk throughout event, mostly her just giving him a hard time. I enjoyed Unity being involved in this event as well. She is just so adorable and I still don’t know how to deal with her yet. : )

What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?

A random encounter that I enjoyed was on Friday night when a group of necromancers were after a spirit that Delphie couldn’t see. She was completely confused of what was going on and several Freeholder wanted to help the spirit while others wanted to help the Necromancers. In the end the Spirit had gotten away and group left emptyhanded. It was only at the end that a few of use realized that there was a Scooby Doo concept here. Had a big laugh over this little clever mod  : )

What was the most immersive in-game moment of the weekend for you?

The most immersive moment hands down for me was when sitting by the fire late Saturday/early Sunday. Everything was first light and cheery but within moments that changed when we learned that Violet had been taken by the Ice Glacier. The atmosphere got super tense, as if someone flipped a switch. There was anger, guilt, and loss felt around that fire. When Smiling Flowers, Nayesh, and Enzo sat at that fire speaking, it was as if looking at war veterans in Freehold, aged emotionally by all the fights and losses. It was such a crazy in character experience for me to see this in the eyes of Delphie. I truly learned so much in those moments.

What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why?

This is a tough question. So I think potential every Freeholder can be a great threat to the town depending on how each person deals with a situation. It only takes one person in town to cause havoc which was proven when those who were curse blew up and injured many in town.

Some of the greatest threats in Midworld and Freehold at the moment is Anubisath clearly because since Delphie’s been in town, this person has truly been trying their best to destroy everything. He’s been very close to causing a kingdom to become extinct already and if he was an easy threat, we would have already defeated him. Portia is a huge threat to Midworld as well since we are continually reminded of the fall of Kenrei because of her and with her growing stronger, it’s only a matter of time till she decides to spread out and want more.

I also believe the Solari are a huge threat to Midworld as they truly have been making a mess of the West and with their principles, I think they will never stop until they are completely wiped out of Midworld.

There was an Elfin lady Bright,
    The Sun shines fair on Fir' Bolg wall.
    And she would marry a Gohrrim Knight,
    For Love is still the lord of all.

Delphie Cu Gohrrim~ Wild Elf ~ Fir' Bolg

Profile photo of Nicholas Nissen
    Nicholas Nissen
    Participant
    • What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why?

Combat encounter…? I know this may sound a little odd, but probably the first major wandering that attacked the town right after lay-on. We as a town found out the hard way that maybe Harvesting everything in sight wasn’t the best idea, as is usually the tactic in Freehold. Plus, props to Travis Wolfe for some fun and lulzy combat that really helped get me into the zone for the weekend.

• What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so?

I know this is kind of cheating, but I’m going to go ahead and say Avery was my favorite NPC interaction this weekend. Even though when he first came in, I was stuck in the mind of Ol’ Man Joel… Allowing him to serve the drinks at my reception probably wasn’t the best idea, but hey, he’s the Best Man. He does what he wants. I loved having Avery around because even though it was such a small thing – an old, retired character coming back for an hour or two – it felt like Midworld wasn’t as big as it actually is, for only a moment.

• What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?

Although Al technically didn’t get to experience this particular mod, Ol’ Man Jeremiah did! Being pulled into my second instance of Mobile Channeling training was surreal at first, but I feel like I jumped to the task. Having about five minutes to memorize an entire passage word for word reminded me of my theater days, and the spiderweb maze that I had to traverse while stumbling my way through my monologue was really fun and lifted a weight off my chest. Especially at the end where I just gave up and military-crawled my way out of there… and was told I had accidentally picked the hardest way through the maze.

• What was the most immersive in-game moment of the weekend for you?

This moment came about an hour or so after the wedding, and during a random wandering. Al had a flashback to the Mind-Destroyer Poison. The way I was roleplaying that particular aftereffect of my poisoning was that every time he triggered the poison, he would get back all his memories at once. So, 21 years of memories – not many of which are good ones, sadly – slamming back at Al in the space of a couple of seconds was mortifying, because he was experiencing his life as if it were happening again, emotions and all.

So, after this particular episode, Al set himself down at one of the benches in front of the inn and started sobbing. Wolfson came over and tried to console him out of his stupor, but Al had veritably lost his faith. Others came by to help, but nothing they were saying was helping him. Eventually, after a particularly harsh comment from Wolfson, Al got incredibly angry, yelled, and stormed off. It’s not often that I get to spread my wings, pardon the pun, on Al’s more depressive side. This poison was a near perfect opportunity for Al to take a step back and really evaluate his life.

• What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why?

I don’t know, this new strain of the Writing Curse that’s bearing Eduardo Rivera’s name is freaking me out a little bit. We’ve seen what the Writhing Curse could do in the past… It never ends up pretty for the Riverfolk… or anybody, really.

Albatross "Al" Mogma - Pendrakken Birdkin, Worshipper of Adarna. Self-Appointed Envoy of the Beastkin (which nobody actually recognizes).

Profile photo of Kato
    Kato
    Participant
    1. What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why? I loved being able to fight the Glacier that walks and Horusath in (what was for me, at least) Final mod.  I was in BAD shape then physically, but the chance to get back into a plot that I feel has been thrown on the back burner since Ragna’s death was very refreshing.  I think it could have gone better for us as a town, but the combat was safe, well played, and even though we lost one of our own it felt like progress was made.
    2. What NPCs did you enjoy interacting with the most? How so? Brother Grimm is always fun to interact with, as is Brother Wisk, but this time I think the small amount of interaction I had with Jade was the best.
    3. What mod or random encounter did you enjoy the most? How so?  The Glacier/Horusath attack was by far my favorite this weekend.  I’m itching for this plotline to come to a close, and I can see a few possible ways for it to do so with all of them great possibilities.
    4. What was the most immersive in-game moment of the weekend for you? Sitting around the campfire with Flowers, Enzo, and Delphi talking about Violet’s kidnapping and recalling some others who had passed on or passed through Freehold.  I always enjoy letting the newer players into some of the history the adventurers of Freehold have.  Hopefully that will become more of a common occurrence.
    5. What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why? To Freehold- people talking too much.  For reasons.  To Midworld- I think the biggest and most prominent threat is still the Immortals.  Too many are out and about and we’ve heard too little from them.

IG Nayesh
    Alt 1: Darius Torteval
    Alt 2: Garnet Stoneflow
    OOG Jason "Kato" Krips

Profile photo of Albert Smith
    Albert Smith
    Participant

What was your favorite combat encounter this event? Why
    Main mod this month was my favorite combat encounter. There are some months where I feel super overwhelmed and lost during main mod. Very easily too. So many things were different this month. The NPC’s were really good and balanced this month in their fighting.  The nature of their stats gave it a pretty cool flow of motion to the battle. The goal was also pretty simple but obtainable. I felt like the stipulations of the battle were explained pretty clearly.

I was able to see the battlefield which was nice. The use of the lights on Big tree field not only made the battle look really cool, but it helped things be safer. It also helped me distinguish friend from foe more easily.  There wasn’t a great deal of down time.

One of my other favorite parts, which is more because of PC’s, is the fact that I felt my efforts were focused. If it is possible to highlight a player in these highlights as well I would like to highlight Vaan (John Gallagher)  for the battle tactics he put together. He assembled a team of fighters, tanks, and healers to roam the battlefield as a unit protecting and healing downed folks as well as targeting key enemies to help the battle run smoothly. It didn’t function exactly the way he had intended but I feel like we were really effective on the battle field because we grouped up and worked on objectives.  I felt like I was an effective part of a team that helped us win the battle and it was a very affirming feeling. Many of us complain about how the town doesn’t usually go in with battle tactics. It was nice to finally be able to make something like this happen and I commend Vaan for his efforts.

It was super cool seeing Avery briefly on Saturday. Even if he did poison me. I love seeing people’s older characters pop back in even if briefly. I think that is such a cool idea and really puts more dimension into the world.

Getting to interact with Bashira is always a delight. We worked on my Master Bard training. She created a training that I felt was unique and targeted to me as a player.  It allowed me the chance to roleplay more deeply with a new player which was enjoyable for the both of us. I was given great feedback after my training. I felt accomplished afterwards. Like a moment really happened. It was wonderfully immersive.

Finally meeting Papatia as a PC was very cool. We didn’t talk but the character totally has a presence.

There was a Troll from Ixia that came in on Friday evening. I was hoping to see her again on Saturday. She seemed very interesting, and I had questions I didn’t think of until it was too late.

I didn’t actually get to attend it but I thought the Unity Riddle Mod was a really cool idea.  It crossed my path and a couple of people asked Azure the riddles for help. Plus it was a bit scavenger hunt like. I enjoyed the idea of this.

Its kind of a transitional thing. It was finding frozen astral projected Violet Rayne, which was super upsetting for Azure because of his personal upset on top of seeing Pax and Kelas so upset. That went straight into Fiona coming into town saying she found the hunters that had Daycloud. Aside from it being personal plot it was executed very well by everyone involved. That really helped me get into immersion. Azure went into this particular moment on high emotions and really upset cause his Sisterbolt is somewhere and hurt. This usually triggers beastial wrath which he was holding back. To hear the hunters torturing Daycloud and looking for him made him more upset and the wrath harder to contain.   The hunters (Marcus, Catherine, Doug, Lu) were relentless, cruel, and unreasonable. They gave Azure a reason to release his wrath in order to save Daycloud.  Daycloud was so calm despite everything happening that Azure was more embarrassed by being in his beastial wrath in front of him. He felt ashamed, and in pain, when he binded the beast after. Daycloud comforting him totally broke Azure into tears. . .that an the pain itself.  The mod was built and performed with so many opportunities for good roleplay. The players that came with were wonderful and really participated despite it being so late. Fiona’s absolute panic when she came into town really ramped up the urgency of the mod.  Fiona deferred to Azure a lot which gave me the chance to really make decisions. It made me focus and be in the moment which helped hold the immersion.

What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why?
    Azure: The greatest threat to Freehold is the freefolk themselves.  We live as several tiny villages instead of one town . . .one tribe.  People too often act without thought. They do not often think beyond themselves and their immediate views. They see two or three pawns but don’t see the chess board as well as they think. And they do not act with compassion. So little compassion for our enemies as well as our own. To work from a place without compassion is to be no better than the evil we face. As far as Midworld is concerned . . . The greatest threat currently is what is beyond the barriers of the World Locks. The balance of this plane of existence is in peril with all of the fighting of the Witch Monarchs, caused by Anubiseth. When the balance of a world is disrupted the consequences can be far greater than can be measured and the damage may be much more difficult to contain and heal.  There is too much power in one sector, and the Northern World Lock is in the hand of a Monarch not interested in balance, but obtaining power. The balance needs to be restored and all Four Monarchs need to be in place for this to occur.

People are only what they hide in the shadows.

The Wisps know all

~Tailor B Hemmingway~

Profile photo of West Schliemann
    West Schliemann
    Participant

Main Mod. The risk factor was pleasant, and being drafted into a job that West wouldn’t have taken otherwise really upped the challenge.

Nana’s houndkin. Even past the amusement from the whole “Sharing is just adult propaganda” bit, she gave a heartbreaking account of her time with Purrscilla, who West killed. Fuzz even said ex post facto that she wouldn’t have even known who killed her if not for West saying he was sorry.

Astral Projection mod. I dug the Warp Elementals, and the risk factor of leaving five people extremely vulnerable with very little agency was a hefty trust-building exercise.

Krow and Al’s Wedding. Being asked to officiate the ceremony was an honor- and being asked to officiate it the day of was a challenge. It was a proper roller-coaster, and the Brother Wisk cameo was a nice touch on Jack’s part.

5. What or who do you perceive as the greatest threat to Freehold right now? How about to Midworld? Why?

Right now, I’m most afraid of Calvin, because he’s a threat that, as Kyle aptly said, “reeks of Immortal bullshit,” and we can’t call in help from anywhere.

<b>The Writhing Curse</b> might be the overall biggest threat, though.  Crippling kingdoms and travel between them is heavy.

Also: The Royalists are a long-term threat to Freehold. They occupy a huge chunk of Pendrakken time and Patronage, and historically, Pendrakken has been one of the nations most ardent about helping the entire Treaty. The Patronage preoccupied with swaying even two Houses is enough to send 20 battalions in foreign aid. The difference that makes to Midworld is horrifying.

Profile photo of Squirrel!
    Squirrel!
    Participant

If I have to give it up to any combat encounter this event, it was most certainly going to the mod right after I had gotten my Spear (Naginata/Spear/PolearmThing) deemed safe for combat, and forged. I was so giddy to hit things with a spear, that I didn’t even care that I didn’t have Polearm Proficiency, I was just excited to be a nuisance! Which I did not long after! I got to Jab and Slash at Joben for an awe encompassing 1 whole damage! And I still used the spear throughout the rest of the event! (I called that my training in Polearm Proficiency, by using this weapon for the rest of the moon, because BOY WAS I AN INCONVENIENCE!). I just enjoyed having this spear that granted me so much reach to stay away from the damage, and keep my squishy frame in tact, that when I first got to use it, it was just the most memorable and definitely favorited combat event this moon.

Gonna give the shout out to Horusath! Because my god did I get the shock of the night during the Final Mod for me when I saw him trudging towards us! I’ll never forget it either! Just, out of nowhere I saw him, and as a new player had NO CLUE who this guy was! All I know is that everything went silent and then he just started laying the smack down on EVERYONE. I remember just calling out every dodge I could muster, and trying my best to be on the defensive, but it was just no use against just… everything. I was downed at the stairs, and remember just this sheer fear creeping over me when I realized that if I did manage to find my way back to my feet? He was literally right there, like a looming mass of death. I just remember crawling my way towards the stairs and hearing “Channeling 1, Channeling 2, Channeling 3… Channeling 10, I summon a Gift of Healing Waters, heal 15!” I felt this unearthly calm wash over me, realizing I was safe… and proceeded to claw my way up those stairs like a bat out of hell! I just needed a minute to recollect my brain from the sheer damage that was being dished out in just a few mere seconds.

And then I turned around, and just saw Horusath, laying waste to literally anyone that got NEAR HIM, and remember just thinking to myself “Run… just show weakness if it’s to your advantage.” And I went with my gut instinct, just to find myself facing the Glacier that Walks. Then had a nice pleasant conversation with Zircon! Because, everyone else had Glacier handled… I think?

To be honest, it’s always hard for me to pick a mod or random encounter that I truly enjoy the most. I always have so much fun at these events, being that this was my third event it’s just incredibly difficult for me to just pick One. From arrival and trying my best to get my damage in with daggers, to rolling with the Luccari to deal with Rune-Eaters. From getting my Spear and going absolutely batty because it’s so much fun, to skulking around in the cover of darkness with, you guessed it, the Chosen of Lucca during Main Mod. From attending a wedding, to the reception party where I got poisoned, because I had to learn to Tolerate It (Thanks Wolfson). From being annoyed one minute because people kept yelling at me to not harvest anything because curse, to being absolutely horrified during my Final Mod of the Moon. I can’t just pick one Mod out of all of them, because I just have so much fun at all of them. Each Mod always feels like a test of my patience, to wait for my opportunity to strike, where as my first moon, I was just a wily little Squirrel who wanted to jump into a crowd and get to slaughtering. I feel like Each Moon always provides me a new challenge, and a new experience, and realizing a bit more about myself and the way I need to do things.

The most immersive moment for me, was walking back from the Hinterlands with Wolfson before Main Mod. I know the Lore of the Luccari, from whats written and accessible, but travelling with Wolfson allows me to learn more that isn’t written. It allows me to hear tales of things that Squirrel never got the chance himself to witness. There were lots of RP moments that made me feel fully immersed in the world, from telling a bit of Squirrel’s background and what it was like growing up in the Hinterlands, to hearing stories from others of their pasts, their conquests, their triumphs, and their defeats. Hearing the ways people used to be, and seeing what they’re like now. It’s just, eye opening, and it makes me understand that next moon I’m going to start connecting a bit more with other PCs, and getting to hear a bit of everyone’s stories… because gods am I missing a lot.

I perceive the greatest threat to Freehold, as being Anubesath (I know, I’m probably not spelling it right, but I can try, can’t I?) Their reach seems limitless, and from what Squirrel has been told, their power just seems unnervingly endless, and after witnessing some of the things that they’ve unleashed with just their minions alone, it makes Squirrel, twitch… it makes him itch, and it makes him yearn for more. It makes him want to test his skills, and his patience of waiting for those golden moments when the enemy would turn their back on him, so he can step up and become something of a shadowy ally to anyone who would trust him (Don’t).

The greatest threat to Midworld? I actually had a long discussion with a few PCs last moon, and originally my shot was on the Witch Kings, because they are just so incredibly powerful… but then my eyes were opened to my first event, and they made me come to a realization… Prizmak is still out there, and while he may be this seemingly harmless entity, the extent of his powers are quite literally unknown to Squirrel. It makes him actually think that maybe Anubeseth shouldn’t be the biggest of Squirrel’s concerns, but is the presented target of the moment… where as Prizmak is uncomfortably powerful for Squirrel’s liking.

"Everyone just calls me: Squirrel... or Squirrel the Ballista if you're feeling titles!"

Profile photo of Paul Prince
    Paul Prince
    Participant
      The Impromptu battle with the Glacier and Horusath in BTF.  I know it wasn’t supposed to happen and BIG UPS to staff for rolling with it and making it something amazing.  I walked on to the field surrounded by heavy hitters and thought “what am i doing here?” The battle was intense and we lost a beloved towns member (Not for good).
      King in Jade and Indy.  Always love talking with Indy but to be able to give the King in Jade a tour of the town and to be able to give her information she was looking for was so awesome.
      Scooby Doo mod, because I am a moron and didn’t realize it was a scooby doo thing at all. I was just helping Fellow necromancers.  Also Ichabod got to use his dad voice when scolding another player about the events happening around them.  (we hugged it out in the end) It was a chance to show that Ichabod cares about certain things and takes his Job (necromancer) very seriously.
      -Again, King in Jade and Indy, such a great semi serious RP exchange I really enjoyed it.
      -Just before Main Mod. My chat with Delphie about the consequences of what we were doing.
      The greatest threat to Freehold are it’s citizens who wish to use it for personal gain, not realizing what Freehold really is and it’s potential for good.
      The greatest threat to Midworld is The Writhing Maw, and it’s newest lacky, Riza, The Reader of Runes.  Riza is back and really pissed, Another strain of the writhing curse is following. Dun Dun Dunnnn
    Profile photo of Mike Robey
    Mike Robey
    Participant

Well I suppose I’d have to say my Oracle of Flame training with Fenris, and with Brother Wisk (Or maybe Whisk?), let’s say leading, the exercise. Aside from the natural dangers that come with fighting a trio of fire elementals, one of the people who was supposed to train with us wasn’t there, which made things trickier, if anything it was good combat practice, and a pretty good workout, let me tell you, it’s pretty disheartening to find yourself with your back against the wall and three fire elementals ready to cook you.

I’d have to say I most enjoyed interacting with Unity, or what interaction I had with Unity. Compared to most other NPCs we see in Freehold, it’s nice to have one that you’re actually happy to see. Most of the time it’s, “Oh great! I wonder what terrible nightmarish thing are they here to tell us about?” With Unity it’s just more, “Hi! How ya doin? You got a mysterious riddle from a potential terrible nightmarish thing? Okay, let’s see what that’s about.” At least we get the luxury of not being hit with that immediate dread feeling.

I’m going to say the Unity riddle/scavenger hunt. It was fun to be challenged in a way other than just combat. And getting frustrated at the end was also a little but fun I have to admit, with the couple of people that had Unity’s blessing standing around but none of them would open the dang box! And I couldn’t see the box so I couldn’t do it, but then Unity helped and I opened the box and we all got flowers, and it was nice.

I think when pretty much all of the brotherhood was in town to investigate the explosions. It’s one thing to see one or two, but as a still pretty new player, and having never seen 5 in one place before, I was pretty  worried. Then after I found out they were investigating the explosions, running around to find the people I knew had pieces of the bomb; that way the brotherhood could check them out and see what the people who’d researched each piece found out about them.

I think the greatest threat to Freehold and Midworld both is a combination of the freeholders themselves and the witch-monarchs. Anubisath is scary and powerful, yes, but there is a degree of readiness in some freeholders to hand more power to either Kritek or Gabriella that is unsettling. Defeating Anubisath is great and all, but not if we create another one in the process. Kritek is a predator, and Gabriella will not acknowledge her limitations until it’s too late, but freeholders ignore this all the time; it won’t end well if we leave it to them. They can help, but they are not always the solution. I really hope we learn our lesson.

Profile photo of Matt Wagner
    Matt Wagner
    Keymaster

Thank you for your feedback.

This offer has expired.

Matt Wagner -- Game Director of Seventh Kingdom IGE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.